Avoid hard foods at all times, including peanuts, popcorn, crusts of bread. Raw fruit and vegetables should be sliced thinly or grated.
Sweet foods and drinks should not be consumed between meals. Acid drinks, such as diet drinks and fruit juices should be avoided between meals. Milk and still water are allowed between meals.
Keeping the gums and teeth very clean is vital, otherwise the teeth will be permanently damaged by the braces. A regular/electric toothbrush should be used as well a tepe brush or superfloss. Detailed cleaning instructions will be given at your surgery visit and our hygienist and orthodontic assistance are always available to give you additional help or advice. (Detailed instructions below)
Should a part of the brace become distorted or broken it is vital that the orthodontist checks the brace as soon as possible. Please call our office and we will arrange for an appointment.
Discomfort experienced varies from person to person. When the brace is first fitted it is usual to experience mild discomfort for a few days. When the brace is adjusted some discomfort may also be experienced.
Some parts of the brace may be sharp. Wax can be applied to these areas. Contact us if you have any concerns.
Following the course of orthodontic treatment it is usual to wear retainers to hold the teeth in their new position.
It is important that the orthodontist sees you or your child on a regular basis to check the brace. Missed appointments will increase the treatment time.
ATTEND YOUR DENTIST FOR REGULAR CHECK UPS DURING YOUR ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
Detailed Cleaning Instructions for “Train Tracks”
Keep your teeth clean and healthy – they are the last set you will ever have!
3 times a day (at least) – Full cleaning every morning – Full cleaning every night
Brief cleaning after meals to remove obvious food debris.
How to brush your teeth properly in 4 steps
- Tooth brushing with fluoride toothpaste using 3 minute timer
- Use a toothbrush with a small head and medium bristles
- Use a fluoride toothpaste (pea sized amount)
- Start at the back in both the upper and lower arch
- Angle toothbrush at 45 degrees to the gum and tooth
- The bristle tips should move in a circular motion
- Massage the gums then sweep the bristles away from the gum line
- Brush the brace itself then the biting surfaces and then the insides of all the teeth in both jaws.
- Clean each square(bracket) of each brace using TeePee brushes (we stock these)
- Inter dental brushing (between the teeth)
- Inter dental brush resembles a small bottle brush
- Wet the brush and slip it under the arch wire
- Change the inter dental brush after 5 – 6 days or when worn
- Fluoride mouth rinse
- Use 10ml of a 0.5% sodium fluoride rinse
- Rinse for 1 minute
- Dont rinse your mouth out afterwards